Monday, December 27, 2010

thankful for family

I'm on my mom's computer, so this is one of her pictures. It really doesn't have anything to do with the things that are weighing on me today, but it reminds me that there is joy in life and love in family. And that I really like giraffes. I know you can't exactly tell from the picture, but that's what she's riding. A giraffe.

When I was about 11 my grandma gave me a giraffe necklace. I think I wore it every day between ages 11 and 13. I have no idea where it went. But I've thought of that grandma a lot today, and I've been wearing her bracelets instead. They remind me that I've got it easy, and that I'm stronger than I think I am.

When Hubby was a kid, his friend used to smear peanut butter and chocolate frosting between two pieces of wonder bread. He called it a "Depression Sandwich." Why a six year old would need a stack of depression sandwiches is beyond me -but I feel like I could use a bit of a pick-me-up today, in the form of something chocolatey and peanut-buttery. Only... I'm trying really hard to get back on my no sugar kick, which was seven years running before The Little Pirate came into my life.

I am so glad that Little Pirate is in my life.

I've been pretty dang blessed in the family department, for that I am truly grateful.

By the way, Christmas was awesome.
Hope yours was too!



4 comments:

sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kaylynn said...

Yummy sandwich. You are blessed!! You will continue to find strength you didn't know you had.

Mandy & Brian said...

Love ya Heather! I'll call and keep in touch with you. You are amazing and I'm glad you are with your family.

Erin said...

Those are neat stories. We had a lovely Christmas. :) (I'm glad you did too.)