Thursday, March 8, 2012

i am such a hypocrite

So... Hunger Games is coming out, in case you've been living under a rock and didn't know. When I'm doing all my house chores, I tend to have conversations with myself... and last week I debated the whole should I see it/ should I not see it question.

I read the books. I liked them, I did, but they were horrifying. Children being forced to kill each other -how is it that we're so excited by this? I hate violence, I just can't handle it...
But, I know everyone else is going to watch them.
Since when do we follow the crowd for the sake of following the crowd?
You're right. Just because everyone else is going to go watch them doesn't mean I have to. But, it would be interesting to watch since I read the books.
Children killing children, Heather!
I bet they cleaned up the violence. I bet its not even half as graphic as the books...
Heather, you won't like it. It will be violent, and sad, and terrible... How can it not be!? Why is our society so excited by this kind of brutality? Take a stand, Heather. Take a stand!
Okay, you're right. I won't go. 


The decision was made and that was that...

Until a girlfriend of mine said to me, "Hey Heather, a bunch of us are going to go see Hunger Games together when it comes out. We're going to go out to dinner and then catch the movie, would you like to come with us?"

"Yes. Yes, I want to come. Please remember to call me!"

(I am, A. Desperate for a Girl's Night Out, and B. Sincerely feeling like a need some more friends here.)

8 comments:

Laurie said...

You're SO not a hypocrite!! I'm doing the exact same thing right now!!! Except, I'm just barely reading the book - because a friend wants to go to the premier showing... As much as I hate the concept of the entire thing, I DO think it's written well. And I've decided I want to see the movie to see all the crazy Capitol people with their tinted skin and crazy outfits and makeup! :)

Of course, I may just decide I need to go to the bathroom right in the middle of the movie... But we'll see. :) I totally understand what you're saying and I totally think you should go! Friends are SO important. And if they're real friends, they won't care if you leave for a 45 minute potty break, either. :)

Amy said...

I don't think it's about children killing children even though that's part of the story. I think it's about a brave girl who is marching to the beat of her own drum and challenging the corruption around her. Another "good vs evil" story.

I still haven't seen Breaking Dawn. Does that count for not following the crowd for the sake of following the crowd? Of course, if I lived close to my sisters, I'd have done the same thing you're doing and gone with them because they invited me. :)

heather said...

Well said, Amy. Well said.

Also, I haven't seen Breaking Dawn either. :) I thought I was the only one!

Kyla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wendy said...

That was funny,
Oh the arguments we have with ourselves...and often loose.

um ENJOY??? the show.
I haven't even read the books.

crissy // mama boss said...

What if you meet up with these ladies for dinner and then head home afterward/skip the movie? That way you get your girls night, while still avoiding what sounds like a really awful movie... just a thought.

Jennie said...

You are not a hypocrite! Before you go, you should read the review on imdb just to see what the level of violence is and if you are comfortable with it. I'm watching the movie to see the beautiful story unfold and I'm excited because Suzanne Collinsa actually wrote the screenplay herself so it should be pretty close to the story!

Cara said...

I don't think that's hypocritical whatsoever! My SIL has read all the books, too, but I'm not really into it. I might watch the movies, though, but quite honestly I have no clue what the story line is ;).

I recently stopped watching a TV show because of all the 'dodgy' stuff in it. I would go away from the show just feeling like all my happiness was sucked from me. It depends on your own comfort levels and what you're happy doing!

I know what you mean about a girls night out. I badly need one of those, too. There are lots of LDS women around here but well...to be nice I feel like they don't really get me - or maybe I don't get them? Either way I'm stuck in this awkward place right now trying to make friends in my husbands ward. It's awkward.