Sunday, September 23, 2012

someday someone will be standing in the kitchen for me

A woman in our ward passed away this past week. She left behind a 7 year old boy and a 17 year old girl. She had a rare auto-immune disease that they never could diagnose -and that kept her house and bed bound. In some ways her passing was a mercy, since she was really very, very sick -but in other ways... how very sad for those babies to lose their momma at such a young age.

I'm the compassionate service leader in the ward, which meant that it was my job to line up meals for the family and food and kitchen help for the service. On the sign up I asked for 5 people to bring potatoes -6 people signed up. I asked for 6 desserts, 7 people brought them. I asked for 5 kitchen helpers -11 showed up, ready to dig in with the work involved in feeding & cleaning up after 50 some odd people.

This ward I live it is pretty amazing.

Someone from the family came in towards the end to hug us and thank us. We don't know them and they don't know us, but it didn't matter. There was a sister of ours, sitting in heaven, who needed us to be working in the kitchen for her family and her friends. We were glad we were able to do something for her. We know it'll be our turn one day.

3 comments:

Amy said...

What sweetness. Bittersweetness I should say. I love how much love and service was shown in your ward. Our ward is full of excellent volunteers too. It's so wonderful.

Love and hugs going out to that family.

Aunt Merrilee said...

Isn't being a member of the church such a blessing. No matter where you go you will always be welcomed and loved. What a great ward to support a sister they didn't know. And we will all feel these blessings of a great ward at some time or another in our lives. I sure have been served by the sisters in my ward through the years.

Jenny Lynn said...

It is a blessing to have the Relief Society to support each of us in our hour of need. I have been so blessed by many different sisters over the years. I am always grateful when I am asked to serve someone else.