Friday, November 1, 2013

halloween recap and a fabulously easy and delicious recipe


 We braved cold, drizzly rain last night to take our little broken green crayon around to our neighbors houses for some free candy. He was so excited by the fun of it all, he wouldn't slow down. This is why all seven of the pictures I took last night look a lot like this one -minus the cool leaves. He's three so we only trick-or-treated our street, but our neighbors are generous and we came home with that little orange pumpkin too heavy for him to carry.

When we got home I made this:


Last year I found a version of this on Pinterest, and I made it for a party. It was gone within a minute and I didn't get to even taste it, so this year I thought I'd try again. I changed it up a bit, and it was ah-mazing. I pretty much at half of this all by myself last night. And that's okay because it's really not that bad, plus: Halloween.

So here's what you do:

Pre-heat the oven to 350.

If you want a pie shell, cool. If not, cool. It's totally optional.

Next slice up some apples. (Slices should be on the thin side.)

Lay the slice out in a thin-ish layer.

Now, you can either crumble brown sugar and cinnamon over the tops... OR you can lightly drizzle maple syrup and cinnamon over the tops. I did half and half with this one. Hubs likes his brown sugar and I feel better about eating 100% pure organic maple syrup... (This is also why I only ate half of it last night. The other half was his.)

Then, for fun, I added a few chocolate chips. I'd prefer dark chocolate but I only had the semi-sweet ones and they worked out fine.

Stick it in that oven for 10 minutes and it's done.

Next time (as in tonight) I'll skip the pie crust and the chocolate chips and it'll still be delicious. And tonight it'll be totally guilt-free. Apples. Cinnamon. Maple syrup. It's basically as healthy as a dessert can get.

No comments: