Wednesday, November 6, 2013

the day i laughed so hard i cried.


Since the stores started rolling out their Christmas displays, I've been looking for Christmas cards. I like the flat, decorative family-photo post-card-type things that people send these days, but I love actual Christmas cards. I guess I'm old fashioned that way. 

So, I've been looking. Sam's has one card I like, but even $12 something for 18 cards is more than I'd like to pay. Coincide this with my facebook hiatus and my recent itch to do something crafty/creative I had this brilliant idea the other day: I'll make our Christmas cards this year!

It seemed like a genius idea at the time. It did.

The next morning I printed off Michael's 40% off coupon, and Hobby Lobby's 40% off coupon. I bundled the Pirate up and we headed out to the crafting stores to pick up the cards and paper and whatever else I thought might be useful. I'd done some math and I figured if I could keep the grand total to $30 or less, we'd be saving money. 

We rolled into Michael's first because Michael's is closest and because I have Hobby Lobby prices basically memorized. I was a woman on a mission to get the best deal... Then I scrolled through that $1 section and the clearance section and... $26 later (even with the 40% of coupon!) I was still without the cards themselves and the stamp I had my heart set on and the pretty Christmas papers.

**We also had our first public bathroom experience with our little Pirate who is about *this close* to being fully potty-trained. That deserves a post all it's own. It was stressful and disgusting to say the very least.**

While I'm wondering how I let that $26 get away from me, we drive down the road to the Hobby Lobby where I pick up the cards, the stamps, the paper, and I drop another $25 in the name of saving money and being creative and making my own Christmas cards.

All the way home I try to justify: Well, I bought those $1 stamps and ink pads so Pirate can have something to do while I work on the cards. He'll need to be entertained after all. Plus, some of those purchases can be thought of as tools -like an investment. So, we won't be saving any money this year (at least we won't be spending any? much? more than if I'd bought the Sam's club cards) next year I'll be ready and we really will save money! There's always next year too! It'll wash out in the end. A year from now. Plus, this will give me joy and personal satisfaction and isn't that worth something? I think so!

By the time I got home, got Pirate to the potty, and got us both something to eat I was totally spent -but I was too excited about all the beautiful cards I was going to make to not get to making them! So I set out all the supplies I bought, and scissors and glue sticks and my paper-crafting things. I set the Pirate up with some papers and stamps and scissors and glue to and we got to work.


And this seemed to be the best I could do.

I thought it kind of could be cute... in a funny, haha kind of way. But it was far, FAR from what I had in mind. Then I remembered, Oh yeah! I'm not good at this! In fact, I am horrible at crafty-stuff! Didn't I learn anything from my childhood?? I had a choice: laugh at it, or cry.

So, I texted this pic to my SIL and to my mom with the whole story. Hoping, hoping they'd respond with: That's kind of cute in a funny-Christmas card kind of way! Or some other such lies of encouragement. But, of course I got honesty. I can always count on honesty from those two -which is one of the things I love about them.

My SIL: hahahahaha! Have [Pirate] make the cards! That'd be cute!

My mom texted back: Laughing uncontrollably. How many cards do you need? I'll send them to you, I have lots extra.

After reading my mom's text I looked at the card again, and started laughing. I laughed so hard tears where rolling down both cheeks. My belly hurt. I haven't laughed that hard in I don't know when. I think that laugh, alone was worth the money.

The next morning though... after lots of thought, some time on Pinterest, and a good night's sleep I did a bit better:


Even so: if you're planning to get a card from me in the mail this Christmas... don't expect much! I spent our card budget plus a little and well. I'm just going to have to make it work! {shoulder shrug with a slightly pained expression}

2 comments:

Momza said...

A handmade card is a gift. ALWAYS. Anything handmade is a treasure. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. ALWAYS.
You did good, Sis.

Laurie said...

Haha, that's awesome!!! The second set are really cute! ;)